Now we will present a few plants that are often considered as weeds and destroyed without of being aware that they are extremely beneficial for our health. These plants are treated according to the perspective of each of us
1. Chickweed (Stellaria media) – this garden weed is an excellent source of vitamin A, vitamin D, vitamin C, iron, potassium and calcium. Chickweed has a mild flavor similar to spinach and can be included in salads and sandwiches. If you do not like the taste, you can add it to various soups.
It is used for catarrh of the respiratory system and externally, freshly crushed is administered to impose boils and other skin inflammations and rheumatism.
2. Curly dock (Rumex crispus) – the leaves are rich in vitamin C, beta-carotene and zinc, which stimulates the immune system. Fresh leaves can be used in different salads. Stems of curly dock can be peeled and eaten raw or cooked. The seeds of this plant are rich in calcium and fiber.
3. Daisies (Bellis Perennis) – green parts and the petals can be eaten raw, although the taste is bitter. This plant has anti inflammatory effect, you can make tea with the daisies.
4. Chicory (Cichorium intybus) – despite the bitter taste, the leaves are eaten raw in many countries in Europe such as Greece and Italy. If you want to remove some of the bitterness of the leaves, you can cook them then eat them. The roots can be ground and used as an additive to coffee or even as a replacement.
With food: Squeeze 1 teaspoon of juice from the stalk of chicory and mix it with milk or water, take three times a day. The fresh herb can be eaten as a salad.
5. Dandelion (Taraxacum officinalis) – young leaves of dandelion can be used for making a salad, which purifies the blood, stimulates urination and relieves pain in diseases of the liver and gallbladder and the tea from the leaves helps with urinary tract infections.
Grind the leaves and roots of dandelion and squeeze fresh juice. In one cup of milk, add two tablespoons of juice, sweeten with honey and drink for twenty days in the morning on an empty stomach.
Dandelion is an excellent source of vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin B, vitamin D, iron, zinc and potassium.
6. Purslane (Portulaca oleracea) – This plant has extremely high levels of omega-3 fatty acids, and substantial amounts of fiber, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamins of B group, iron, magnesium, manganese, potassium, calcium, and copper . The fresh leaves can be added to various salads.
7. Plantago major – this plant can be used in insect bites, stings, burns and wounds. Young leaves have excellent taste, while the oldest ones are tough and hard to chew. 100 grams of leaves contain such amount of vitamin A, as a big carrot. They are also very rich in vitamin B1 and riboflavin.
8. Red clover (Trifolium pretense) – this kind of clover is traditionally used as anti-inflammatory drug in India, but in addition, red clover is effective for various types of cancer. This plant is an excellent source of calcium, chromium, magnesium, niacin, phosphorus, potassium and vitamin C.
You can add small amounts of fresh leaves of red clover to various salads. Do not overdo consumption because the leaves contain isoflavones and estrogen.