The barley grass is ready for consumption by the 3rd to 7th day after sowing barley seeds. It is best to consume in the form of juice. For this purpose you should use barley sprouts. Furthermore, barley grass can be found in the form of a powder that is easily digested by the body.
The unique combination of vitamins, minerals and enzymes make barley grass more healthy than many other superfoods.
The barley grass is extremely rich in nutrients and contains vitamin A, vitamin B1 (thiamine), vitamin B2 (riboflavin), vitamin B3 (niacin), vitamin B6, folic acid, vitamin C (ascorbic acid), vitamin E (alpha tocopherol) and vitamin K (phylloquinone). Furthermore it contains magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, zinc, iron and calcium. Barley grass is rich in powerful antioxidants, essential amino acids and beneficial enzymes.
1. The barley grass helps in the treatment of ulcerative colitis – it stimulates the growth of ‘beneficial’ bacteria in the gastrointestinal tract. It relieves inflammation and other common symptoms associated with ulcerative colitis, through the elimination of toxins and waste products.
2. Barley grass is an excellent detoxifying agent – it helps remove accumulated heavy metals in the body such as lead. Strong detoxification (cleansing) effect of this kind of grass is due to copper, selenium and zinc. Furthermore, the abundance of chlorophyll and beta-carotene in barley grass stimulate the elimination of waste products such as mucus and other acids. It supports metabolic processes and stimulate the cleansing function of the liver.
3. Barley grass helps fight various addictions – the presence of glutamic acid suppresses thirst for different harmful substances such as alcohol, coffee, nicotine, drugs and even sugar.
4. Barley grass is effective against cancer thanks to the powerful action of the enzyme superoxide dismutase. He has both preventative and curative effect against cancer cells. The enzyme catalase, which is found in barley grass has the ability to decompose and to neutralize the toxic effects of the hydrogen peroxide, which is produced during respiration.
5. Barley grass helps to restore the acid-alkaline balance in the body. Its alkalinity helps reduce the excess acidity in the body, which can cause acidosis. The imbalance of acid-base composition in the body can lead to sleep disorders, heart pain, fatigue, constipation and brittle nails.
Although barley grass is safe for consumption, some people might react with symptoms such as vomiting, itching, burning sensation in the throat and mouth. In such cases, the consumption of barley grass should be discontinued and seek medical attention.