Can baking soda dissolved in a glass of water to calm the heartburn? If you suffer from heartburn, try this simple and effective protection that contains no GMOs and other dangerous substances, unlike some drugs. Baking soda acts as an alkalizing and pH balancing agent in the body. For most people, heartburn, acid reflux and indigestion is due to the lack of gastric acid.
If you do not produce enough stomach acid, the food will stay longer in your stomach. When the food standstill in the stomach and it do not move further in the gastrointestinal tract, this leads to discomfort.
Baking soda helps to neutralize stomach acid and prevent acid reflux, indigestion and upset stomach. It acts by reducing the level of acidity, thereby not allowing the acid to pass into the esophagus. In turn, this reduces burning sensation in the throat and chest.
Way of administration:
Take one teaspoon baking soda, dissolve it into a small glass of water and drink it immediately.
Keep in mind that this will only temporarily ease the pain if you suffer from acid reflux constantly contact your doctor. You should not take baking soda very often , because it has a high salt content, which can lead to high blood pressure, nausea and edema.
Another option is to dissolve one teaspoon baking soda in a glass of water, add 1 tsp honey. Stir well and drink. The combination of honey will help stop the burning sensation behind the breastbone and stop acid reflux.
Taking baking soda can cause the following side effects:
1.Baking soda may cause some unwanted side effects such as gas, bloating, nausea, belching, discomfort and pain.
2. Prolonged intake of baking soda can affect the process of digestion. This is due to neutralization of gastric acid.
3. It also elevates blood pressure, especially when you are sensitive to sodium.
4. Avoid taking baking soda in large quantities as it can cause diarrhea.
5. Children under 5 years old should not take baking soda.
6. Baking soda reduces the level of vitamins and minerals in your body, especially vitamin B, folic acid and chromium. It should be taken on an empty stomach or one hour before or three hours after eating, but do not take on a full stomach.