It has been proven that mosquitoes, among many other biting insects are attracted to certain smells in the human skin. They are attracted by sweat and other substances that are secreted by the skin which means that if you sweat profusely in the summer you will be under constant attack by midges and mosquitoes. Fortunately, nature offers us a solution to this problem through certain herbs with smell that masks the smell of sweat and on the other hand, repel mosquitoes.
To protect yourself from insects use these herbs. You can mash fresh plant leaves and rub them into the skin.
Here’s which herbs you can use as a natural defense against pesky mosquitoes:
1. Catnip – This aromatic plant is a cousin of mint and contains certain substances that act as a natural insect repellent.
2. Sage and rosemary – If you are planning to gather outside around the fire, put the herbs into the fire to burn. Burning leads to exuding specific substances which smell good for us, but not for the mosquitoes. This odor can keep mosquitoes away for the evening.
3. Lavender – this beautiful and fragrant herb repels not only mosquitoes but also moths and flies. For maximum effect, you should rub the skin with lavender leaves .
4. Melissa – This member of the mint family has white flowers and light lemon flavor, and a number of medicinal properties. It is particularly effective when we want to keep mosquitoes away from us.
5. Calendula (marigold) – Have you ever thought that the marigold, which are sown in the garden can protect you from mosquitoes. To achieve maximum results in the fight against mosquitoes, you can sow calendula where you gather outside in the evenings.
6. Basil – Are you worried how to repel mosquitoes naturally? Just arrange a few pots of basil and you’re done. Basil contains certain substances that repel mosquitoes and other insects.
7. Tea Tree – Besides health benefits, tea tree oil repels mosquitoes. Essential tea tree oil has a strong odor, which is disliked by biting insects. You can plant a few plants in your garden, so mosquitoes will not even think to get near you.