The composition of nectarines is similar to that of peaches, but nectarines contain much more vitamins and minerals. Minerals such as iron, phosphorus, potassium, etc. are abundant in nectarines, vitamin A and vitamin C are in double quantity compared with peaches.
Nectarines contain some amount of antioxidants. They are a source of niacin, pantothenic acid, thiamine, and pyridoxine. Nectarines contain magnesium, folic acid and vitamin K.
Thanks to the vitamins and minerals contained in nectarines, they are very useful for our health:
1. Nectarines are an excellent source of antioxidants that help fight free radicals in the cells. Free radicals can be formed even after exposure to sunlight, but can be easily eliminated if you include nectarines in your diet. Thus they protect us from harmful UVA rays. Antioxidants help us fight various diseases. These antioxidants are converted to vitamin A in the body.
2. Nectarines stimulate the production of collagen – vitamin C in nectarines plays a vital role in maintaining the elasticity of the tissues. It helps in the production of collagen. Collagen is a structural protein which in combination with keratin and elastin make tissues more elastic and strong. Ascorbic acid stimulates immunity and helps fight infections. Collagen is necessary for the recovery of cartilage and bones.
3. Nectarines are rich in beta-carotene – it is the basis for the production of vitamin A. Vitamin A deficiency results in abnormal bone development, reproductive diseases and can lead to death in some cases. One cup nectarines contains 214 mcg beta carotene, which protects against macular degeneration and protects your eyes from various ailments. Vitamin A makes your skin, teeth, bones, tissues and mucous membranes healthier.
4. Nectarines regulate blood pressure – a medium-sized nectarine contains about 285 mg of potassium. Potassium aids in the regulation of blood pressure, by balancing the effects of sodium. But large amounts of potassium in the diet can be harmful for the elderly and people with kidney disease.
5. Nectarines are low calorie fruits, this makes them an excellent choice for people who want to lose weight. It contains only 44 calories per 100 grams and contain no saturated fat. Nectarines cointain fiber which help to control your hunger and control your weight effectively.
6. Nectarines stimulate digestion – constipation problem can be easily solved if you eat the juicy fruits regularly. Potassium in nectarines improves metabolism, regulates pH, helps in the absorption of carbohydrates.
7. Nectarines prevent cell mutation and cancer development – they are rich in bioflavonoids, especially carotenoids. These pigments are antioxidants that help prevent cancer and other diseases by reducing the damage to the cells, which is caused by oxidative processes in the body.
When cutting or peeling the fruit enzyme is released that causes darkening of the fruit. The change in color does not change its nutritional value. You can stop browning by dipping the nectarines in acid solution (water and lemon).